Just Thoughts.......

I have been working alot lately on my Ressler line - mostly because I am the most familiar with it because Grandma made a point to talk to me about it and take me to the cemeteries where her ancestors were buried in Lancaster County. Jacob Ressler who married Susanna Boehm/Beam was the son of  Revolutionary War veteran Johann "John" Roessler/Ressler, which makes me eligible to join the DAR if I choose. I have filled out the application, so time will tell if I have enough supporting documentation.

A question that has been flitting around in the back of my mind for many years has to do with the naming of Abraham and Lizzie Applebach's boys - as in Sherman, Winfield Scott, and Zachary Taylor. At first I thought maybe they were all officers in the Mexican War but that only applies to Scott and Taylor. Sherman was in the Civil War. Their life dates somewhat overlap each other. Looking at Abraham's life itself, his father could possibly have been in the Mexican War but so far I have found no evidence of it.  However, Abraham did not live that much with his father if the census and family stories are to be believed, so could there have been an older man in his life that had some connection or liking for these 3 men and passed that liking onto Abraham? Could Abraham himself liked military history and liked these 3 officers in particular? Why wasn't the oldest boy, John, named for a famous officer? I guess I have more questions then answers at this point - any suggestions someone? Or it is possible Lizzie Applebach had a reason to name her sons the way she did - maybe a relative who was in the military or relatives named for famous soldiers?

Finally, I have few clues and am looking for more information on the parents of  Barbara Caskey - she died in 1870 in Lancaster.  She is usually listed as being the daughter of Barbara Brimmer, however, this woman was probably a relative but not her mother. James Caskey was her father. The family story is that Barbara Caskey's parents died (in an epidemic?) and all the siblings were farmed out to other relatives. Does anyone have some ideas?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY