PLEASE......MY THOUGHTS

I certainly do not mind sharing any of this information with others, or I would never have posted this blog publically.  Maybe it will save someone a few steps and frustration.  However, after spending the afternoon looking at several trees on Ancestry, I again (as in my Welcome post) ask that people state that they got the information or photos or documents from me.  Here are my reasons:

1. If there is a mistake on the labeling or I am incorrect on my "facts", I want someone to contact me and let me know there is a mistake.  I am not interested in passing along incorrect information. I saw a couple pictures that were labeled incorrectly that I have since updated on this blog - but the old incorrect photos were still posted as facts.

2. I want to trade information if at all possible.  I have alot of gaps in my documents and I would love to get in touch with other people and family members who may be able to help. I have a list of family mysteries I am trying to solve and any thoughts or actual documentation might help solve those.

3. It is polite to say where the information came from and not pretend you were the one who paid for copies of the information or actually did the research in the first place.

I have boxes and boxes of information that I have collected or was given by others.  If I don't source the information or photos, I've probably inherited the photos or was given them long ago and have no idea where they came from at this point - otherwise, I do try to say were the info came from. However, I also pay money for documents and spend hours on a weekly basis researching photos, documents and family connections - much of that by contacting obscure relatives or actually going to courthouses, newspaper offices, or libraries.

I cannot say that I am angry, however, I can say I am disappointed.  I post this blog publically to help others by sharing my research.  Yes, I do run the risk of it being "stolen" by folks who for whatever reason are simply lifting it from here and claiming it - however, I am still a believer in the honor system.  If I have mixed up facts, or mislabeled  photos, I need to know so it can be corrected.  Please feel free to use anything on this blog, but please tell where you got it. Thank you. 


Comments

  1. Thank you for your hard work. I have made sure that any photos or obits I have used in my tree have your blog credited in the "notes" section. If you find any I missed let me know. I have been using
    My Heritage for my tree.
    I have the Yost side back pretty far with, I would say, fair confidence. The name seems to go from Yost to Jost in Germany.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles,

    Thank you so much both for your sharing info behind the scenes, and answering my emails but also about being careful with your research and giving credit to others when it is due.

    You are correct about the Yost/Jost name in Germany. There it is Jost as the "J" makes the "Y" sound. As I look thru records, I tend to look for both spellings.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY