MY ORGANIZATION SYSTEM

     So I was recently contacted and ask how in the world I actually keep track of all this stuff??? My system is anything but perfect and generally pretty low tech.  However, keep in mind, that I am super over the top about stuff being where it belongs - and that means any item you care to name.  I work the paperwork side of medical (HIM) and a definite mind set to being successful in this is simply being super organized. Another common personality quirk in this field is liking mysteries and/or puzzles. I spend all day digging thru medical records and doing research, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I have no issues about coming home and spending time digging thru more records trying to solve genealogy mysteries.

     That being said, as a teen when I started on this family history journey, I recycled a bunch of old manila file folders.  On each I put the name of a person, their birth and death years, parents names, and known spouses.  Inside I just stuck anything I found that fit that person. I was happy to just have it in one spot. Each person had a file, ok, some people ended up with 2 or 3.  They continue to look the same:




     As I collected more and more info and documents, I added 3 ring binders for direct ancestors that I was specifically looking for and so had lots more stuff (remember the people who had 1 and more files).  I put the documents in date order and use plastic acid free sheet protectors to put these in.  If the paper is double sided, then it is in the sheet protector by itself - if it is a single side then I put 2 in. This way I can simply flip thru and see what I have - it kind of works like a timeline. I am very visual, so this allows me to see what is there.  I also highlight with a yellow marker dates and names so they stand out.
     I recently started making a binder for all the known children of a set of parents (excluding the one who is actually a direct ancestor and has his/her own binder). I simply take the manila folder that the papers were in inside the file cabinet (I have 2 four drawer ones for genealogy), punch 3 holes in it and put all that person's papers behind it.  I put the children in birth order.  On the folder for my direct ancestor I write somewhere to "See Binder" because everything for that person has been moved to a personal binder.  While not actively searching out all the various children and their descendants, I do end up finding stuff on them as I search for my own ancestors so this allows me to have plenty of room for this extra info. Again, all the papers are in sleeve protectors. (Tip: the local Goodwill here tends to have 3 ring binders and for 49 cents each I get lots of them.)


     As I research now, I save a copy of what I find onto my computer and also print off a copy that will go into that person's binder or file.  Yes, it is a little bulky, but it is what works for me.  I then back up all my computer files onto a very large external hard-drive.  The external hard-drive is kept in a fire proof safe.
     I also purchased 2 techie items that I feel are very important:
  • 1. A good quality scanner - mine does negatives, slides, photos and documents.  It also has a labeling program for the photos, so I can label the photos right on the front (no more unlabeled photos or lost postie notes).
  • 2. A high end digital frame that I can put several thousand photos on.  It is in the living room and I have a really nice way to display so many of the old photos that are now in my possession. 
    Please realize that I have thousands of photos and documents and the scanning project is a long way from being complete, however, it is in progress.  Each day sees a few more items scanned in and saved on the computer. I end up having 2 complete sets of photos in the computer because I keep the original, plus the photo that is labeled on the front. Aw yes, and let us not forget the actual printed photo that was scanned in to begin with.

     So how to I store the photos?? Well the first thing I did was took them out of those old sticky "magnet" photo albums that were so popular in the 1970's and 1980's.  If they weren't labeled, I took a few with me every time I went to family and tried to find someone who knew who, when, and where. For many years I felt like I really was drowning in photos and it was an overwhelming project.  I still have boxes of photos that are not scanned in.  However, as I scan them in and they get labeled, they they go into acid free photo boxes by year.  I don't know that I will ever get them put into some form of photo albums, but at least they are in one place.  I know those acid free photo boxes can be a little pricey, but for me they are worth it.

     So below is a shelving unit that is neat and tidy.  More important, I can find the people or photos I am after without alot of muttering and frustration.

     I keep reference books in one certain spot, however, they are in no particular order:

     I recently went on a research binge, so now I am catching up on my filing again.  It's ok though, because all of it has a spot to go to when I get to it.  I guess my advice is to simply find or make a system that works for you and then stick to it.  If I (or you) can't find the documents or photos they are not doing any good for family history.

     A side note: figure out how you are going to label your individual documents or files on the computer and then be consistent.   I tried several different naming systems over the years and when I finally settled on a way that I really liked, I had to go back thru years of files and rename all of them consistently.  It took weeks and turned me into a blithering idiot for the time I was working on it. I am now labeling my computer documents like this: surname-first name, date, state or place, item

    Years ago, I saw somewhere a suggestion to use colored file folders for the various branches of a family tree.  Since I was (and still do) use recycled manila file folders, they are all that lovely off white color. So, I bought cheap star stickers at a store in blue, green, red, and yellow.  I put a colored sticker beside the name on each file or binder that are my direct ancestors. The colors to me mean:
  • Blue = my father and his paternal line
  • Green = my father's maternal line
  • Red = my mom and her paternal line
  • Yellow = my mom's maternal line  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY