MATSON, WILLIAM THOMAS "TOM" 1890-1938

"Tom" Matson was married to Amanda Garner, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Musselman) Garner. Per the 1920 census for Lancaster County, PA - Tom, Amanda, and children were living on the farm.  Per the 1930 census, Tom was an inmate at the Almshouse, and Amanda and children were still living on the farm.  I remember rare comments about "crazy" Tom Matson at family get togethers. I have no idea what exactly was wrong with him and I don't remember anyone ever saying anything specific.

Several months ago, I was looking on Ancestry for various members of  Charles & Elizabeth's family and ran across Tom Matson in the census at the Almshouse, which brought back old memories of comments about him. I contacted a couple distant family members, and their memories were like my own - him being called Crazy Tom but no specifics.

My curiosity kicked in, and I contacted the Lancaster Archives, which have been such a help in the past.  After several days, the response was no one had ever asked them for those records and after searching around, the answer was they did not have them.  Per their suggestion, I contacted the facility that now handles those needing inpatient mental help.  They have no records back that far, and no idea what to suggest except that I contact the Lancaster County Historical Society (LCHS).  The third time is the charm I guess, because the  LCHS was able to locate an old log-in book that actually had Tom's check in info (what there is of it).  I was told that this was all the info they could come up with - I am guessing those records are long gone.  HIPAA and record retention were not a priority in the 1920's and 30's.  If he was committed by the family, there maybe no other records, even at the time.  If he was committed by the state, somewhere there should be court papers.

Below is what I have managed to collect on him:

Tom's WWI draft registration.  As far as I know, he did not fight in WWI, but maybe that should be a search for another day. (Source: Ancestry)

Tom Matson - June 23, 1923 at Garner Reunion (source: R. Schneider)

                                                           
The log in book from the Almshouse that shows he was admitted to the hospital, discharged, and admitted to the Almshouse in Aug. 1929. (Source: Lancaster County Historical Society)

Tom's death certificate (Source: Ancestry)
Tom's gravestone in Mechanic's Grove Church of the Brethren Cemetery (Source: Find A Grave)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY