Mary C. (Reese) Findley 1862-1933

Mary C. REESE is a gr-gr-grandmother that I know next to nothing about. I have no photos, and few records. 

My grandmother did not say much about her which makes me wonder why. Grandma would have been 20 when Mary died so there should have been memories. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions? 

A big part of my research issue is simply that she has a very common name. I have found many Mary Reese/Reise/Reece/Rese in various records in Lancaster County. 

If her obit was correct, Mary was the daughter of John and Louise (EFFELMANN) Reese. 

The year I have found for Mary's marriage to Andrew FINDLEY is 1881.

 I need to really dig into my notebooks of interview notes to see what grandma remembered about her mom's (Anna Bertha) siblings. 

The above gravestone photo is from Find A Grave. 

At some point a few years ago, I tracked down many family obits in the Lancaster papers. The one below is for Mary (REESE) FINDLEY.

Source: my personal records



In the 1910 census, Andrew and Mary are living with children Esther, David, Martha, Joseph, and Myrtle. Plus a brother-in-law named John Reese.

In the 1920 census, Andrew and Mary still have Joseph and Myrtle living with them.

I do remember that grandma said that Myrtle was "retarded" and that she had at least a child by "those Wiggins boys". I wonder if that was the Wiggins family that lived about a mile away?

I would like to really concentrate on this line for a while. This line has gotten shoved to a back burner when it comes to research because the name spelling has become a frustration. 

The past several months, my family research has ground to a halt - not from lack of desire or interest. I started a new job and it has cut into my "free" time. I have had to figure out a whole new schedule for myself.  Hopefully, I will get back on track looking for those missing relatives again soon.

I need to work on this a few minutes a day.  Late last year I challenged myself to work on family tree "stuff" 30 minutes a day. I even set the alarm on my phone to keep myself on track.  It really did work great and I was making some headway.  

Some days during this challenge I organized and filed. Others I looked at Find A Grave, or Ancestry, or Family Search. I knew I only had a few minutes and it kept me from getting distracted.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY