GOOD REMINDER TO SOURCE WHERE DOCUMENTS & PHOTOS COME FROM

I was recently contacted by a very distant relative stating that I should have put him as the source of a photo which I have put on this blog in a couple different places.  Let me state here that while I am sorry I did not give him credit, I also did not know he was the original source of the photo.

For me, this is a good reminder to somehow add a note to items I am given as to where they came from, but I simply don't always do that as well as I should apparently. I don't see me getting around to writing a book about my family, so this is how I am sharing the info and yes, I do want it to be correct. Please give me some credit for being willing to share instead of hoarding it and acting like I am the only person who should have all this information (we all have this kind of person in our families).

I was given boxes and boxes of photos from both my mom and grandma - many of them were duplicates, but many were not.  Add to that the many photos over the years that other relatives have just given me and (now) my personal collection of photos for all branches of my family number into several thousand photos, and that does not include obits, files, or other random personal papers. I really do try to source where all this comes from if I know, but many times at this point the item is simply part of my personal collection.

Grandma Garner loved to take photos of family, but she also was the person that family members trusted with documents that they did not want to keep at their house and/or did not want lost.  When she died and I inherited more boxes from her there were hundreds of pieces of paper that included death certificates, marriage certificates, social security cards, newspaper clippings, school papers and report cards, military papers, letters, diaries, etc.  It took me years to sort it all out.  And then to organize all the photos, it was a daunting and sometimes frustrating job. I have no doubt that some of the photos and documents should be sourced to particular people, but I don't know who at this point.  Then when mom died in 2016 there were hundreds more of the same type of documents and photos.  Both Grandma and Mom also gave me many, many of these items while they were still alive too so the amount of family items I personally have is well into really scary numbers.😊

Again, as per in 2 previous posts (see below), I will state if the item is not somehow sourced in the post it is probably because it is now part of my personal collection.  If I find something on Ancestry, Family Search, the Lancaster Archives, etc I try to be very careful to tell where I found it. If in all the organization (and probably some confusion too) I missed telling correctly where some item came from, please contact me so I can correct the situation.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY