JUST MARRIED - RALPH & REBA GARNER 1935

 JUST MARRIED - RALPH & REBA GARNER 1935

One of the things I found tucked away in my many notebooks of notes and interviews with family members was Grandma telling me about her wedding.

I obviously did not know all the questions to ask and so I am still left with some questions, but here is grandma's story:

Ralph Garner was working on a farm in the Quarryville, PA area.  Reba Ressler was living and working for a doctor in Quarryville. They met there in town (my notes are unclear whether at a restaurant, or the movie house) and dated once a week for at least a year. 

Working on the farm did not pay much, and they did not make any kind of wedding plans until Ralph got a better paying job at Moore's Dairy driving a milk truck. Grandma said she worked for that doctor for five years starting when she turned 17.

Ralph Garner and Reba Ressler went to the Lancaster County courthouse and picked up their marriage license on 26 March 1935. The license number appears to be #17003.

Source: my collection



Ralph Garner and Reba Ressler wanted to be married by a preacher they both liked but had recently moved to Carlisle, PA.  So they along with two of grandma's siblings Anna and Clarence rode the train from Lancaster to Carlisle and were married at the preacher's house.

My notes do not include how quickly they all came back from the wedding, but I believe from overheard comments at the 50th Anniversary that it was the same day because all four of them had to go back to work the next day. 

On the marriage license it looks like the preacher was C. C. Smith.

On 03 April 1935 a small reception was done at the home of Harry & Mary (Ressler) Miller in Oxford by Reba's family.

Reba stated to me that the clothing in the photo was what they wore to be married in.  This photo was on a dresser in the bedroom until grandma died and I received the papers and photo from grandma. Now it proudly is displayed in my living room.


Source: my collection



This photo is the Frank & Bertha (Findley) Ressler family and was also taken 03 April 1935. Anna is missing from photo (maybe she was taking the photos??)

Source: My collection


Just a side note:

For Ralph & Reba's 25th Anniversary they invited Pastor & Mrs. Smith to the reception.  Here is a photo of the original wedding party.

Source: my collection


Here is at the 50th Anniversary celebrated 17 Feb. 1985.  The Smith's are dead, but Ralph, Reba, Anna, and Clarence are still looking great.

Source: my collection





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISITING JACOB & SUSANNA (BOEHM) RESSLER

WELCOME FOLKS

AFFLERBACH HOUSE IN GERMANY